The textbook is divided into twelve chapters. The first nine chapters cover a specific conceptual dimension of transport geography, such as networks, modes, terminals, and urban transportation. In addition to these conventional topics, emerging issues such as globalization, supply chain management, information technologies, energy, and the environment are also thoroughly discussed.
Since transport is a field of application, the use of methodologies is particularly relevant to assist transport operators to allocate their resources (investments, infrastructure, vehicles) or to influence public policy. The tenth chapter focuses on qualitative and quantitative methodologies linked with transport geography such as accessibility, spatial interactions, and graph theory. The convergence between methodologies and information technologies has led to many new analytical opportunities, notably with geographic information systems for transportation (GIS-T).
Transportation is a very active field of investigation and application to real-world issues, which are covered in the eleventh chapter. These include, among others, city logistics, cruise shipping, high-speed rail, or the financing of transport infrastructure.
Over the years some of the contents of this web site have been 家财险产品plagiarized家财险产品, often without attribution, by consultants (and professionals) in reports and presentations covering various sectors of the transport industry. Maps and figures have been a particular target. This does not only involve small firms or individual consultants, but also 家财险产品large globally recognized firms家财险产品. This is highly unethical since it involves stealing someone else’s work while being remunerated. A common practice in the consulting industry is to steal and adapt the work of academics and present it as original material. Consultants, please keep in mind the following:
- I usually do not provide interviews and advice unless compensated. The only exception is for the press.
- By default, 家财险产品NONE of the graphic material on this web site can be used for commercial purposes without my consent家财险产品.
- Instances of plagiarism will be 家财险产品reported to clients and supervisors家财险产品.
- Even if plagiarism is done for internal or confidential reports, this does not remove the risk of detection. I am often asked to act as a 家财险产品third-party reviewer家财险产品 for consulting reports through non-disclosure agreements. Also, on some occasions, clients will release elements of these reports to the public thinking that they are original work.
- Consultants wishing to use some graphic elements contained in this web site, 家财险产品please contact me家财险产品. For a reasonable fee, I can provide customized maps and graphics for unlimited use (I am also a consultant).
- On some occasions (e.g. humanitarian work, NGOs, charitable organizations), the use of some graphic elements can be authorized at no charge.